Microsoft End of Support 2023 — All you need to know
Technology constantly evolves, including software product lifecycles. Microsoft End of Support (EOS) is crucial in this cycle, but what does it truly signify? In simple terms, EOS refers to the point when Microsoft discontinues updates, security patches, and technical assistance for a specific product. This means that if you continue to use the product, you are at risk of security vulnerabilities, compliance issues, and productivity losses.
What happens when a product reaches EOS
If you continue to use the product beyond its end of support, the risks tend to escalate over time. Microsoft releases new versions of its products, and older products may become incompatible with the new versions. This leaves you exposed to compatibility problems, performance issues, and data loss. It’s a critical phase that demands attention and proactive measures to ensure your systems remain secure and resilient.
Why Microsoft ends support for its products
Products become more challenging and costly to maintain as they age. Microsoft creates new products and features all the time. Additionally, it prioritizes customer safety by protecting them from the security risks associated with outdated products.
List of the products that are reaching EOS in 2023
- Dynamics AX 2012 R3
- Dynamics NAV 2013
- Dynamics NAV 2013 R2
- Dynamics GP 2013
- Dynamics GP 2013 R2
List of the products moving to Extended Support
- Dynamics GP 2018
- Dynamics GP 2018 R2
- Dynamics NAV 2018
- Dynamics 365 Business Central on-premise (fixed policy)
Check the Microsoft Support Lifecycle website for complete details on your product’s support milestone dates.
What does this mean for your business?
Continued usage of an outdated Dynamics AX, GP, or NAV can lead to a number of problems, such as:
- Security vulnerabilities: Organizations that continue to use unsupported versions of Dynamics systems are at increased risk of security vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities could allow hackers to access sensitive data or even take control of the organization’s systems.
- Compliance issues: You will be at risk of compliance issues. This is because Microsoft no longer provides security updates or bug fixes for these versions, which means that they may not be compliant with industry regulations.
- Integration and compatibility challenges: As newer technologies and systems evolve, unsupported software may become incompatible with other applications and services used within the organization. This can create integration challenges and hinder overall business operations.
- Missed enhancements and features: Newer versions of Dynamics products often come with valuable features, enhancements, and performance improvements. When you stay with the unsupported versions, you would miss out on opportunities to leverage these advancements, which could lead to reduced efficiency and competitiveness in the long run.
- Increased maintenance costs: Continued use of unsupported legacy Dynamics ERP systems versions may also incur increased costs. This is because you will need to pay for third-party support or for the development of custom patches.
- Decreased vendor support: After EOS, the vendor (Microsoft) will no longer provide official support or assistance for the software. This means that organizations will have to rely on internal resources or third-party consultants for any troubleshooting or help they may need.
Each Dynamics NAV version is supported for 10 years. The first 5 years include new features, security, and non-security updates (mainstream support), and the next 5 years only have security updates (extended support). Beyond the End of Support, no updates would be available. This helps customers plan and receive continuous support for their software.
Benefits of upgrading from Dynamics NAV to Dynamics 365 Business Central:
- Sustained innovation and support: Experience uninterrupted access to progressive product updates, security enhancements, and cutting-edge features.
- Effortless migration: The migration to Business Central is designed to ensure a smooth transfer of your valuable data, configurations, and customizations.
- Powered by the Cloud: Embrace the cloud-driven capabilities of Dynamics 365 Business Central, which empowers your organization with enhanced scalability, flexibility, and accessibility.
- Prolonged Support Lifecycles: Microsoft’s unwavering support for BC is indefinite. It relieves you of any concerns about future budgeting for ERP software upgrades.
Next steps for Dynamics NAV (2013; NAV 2013 R2) and AX 2012 R3 users
Now that mainstream support has ended for Dynamics NAV and AX users, the only option is to migrate to the cloud.
Microsoft partners play an integral role during migration to Dynamics 365 applications. Internal teams within organizations can help achieve the same goal. However, they typically take longer to complete and tax the in-house technical resources.
The Dynamics 365 Finance & Operations Package is designed for enterprise-level organizations and accelerates the implementation of Dynamics 365 F&O. It takes around five months, saving time compared to the typical 9-12 months. This is great for businesses that want a swift adoption of Dynamics 365 F&O. The package includes pre-configuration workshops, go-live assistance, ongoing support, and provides a fast and easy implementation process.
Future-proof your business with Tectura Corporation
Tectura is a Microsoft Gold partner with highly trained professionals who devise perfect solutions for Dynamics 365 implementation, migration, customization, and support. Our on-demand services help you with the best solutions within a cost-efficient framework. You only pay for the time used.
Reach out to our experts to learn about migration to Dynamics 365.